Match North Logo

Jamal Musiala Addresses Health Concerns After Collapsing on Pitch

Jamal Musiala has revealed he is dealing with “treatable absence seizures” after collapsing on the pitch for the second time in four days, but the Bayern Munich star insists there is no long-term health risk and says he intends to keep playing.

The 23-year-old went down just eight minutes after coming on as a substitute in Bayern’s friendly against FC Heidenheim on Tuesday night, a worrying repeat of the incident that forced him off in Saturday’s warm-up match against RB Leipzig.

This time, Musiala chose to address the situation head-on.

On Wednesday, he posted a detailed message on Instagram, starting with the reassurance Bayern fans had been desperate to hear: he feels fine.

“First things first, I am doing well. I am incredibly grateful for your messages and your support!”

he wrote, before explaining the diagnosis that followed the two on-pitch collapses.

“I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary – but treatable – absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction. These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim.”

The images of Musiala suddenly dropping to the turf twice in quick succession sent a jolt through Bayern’s pre-season. No heavy challenge. No obvious trigger. Just a key player, and one of German football’s brightest talents, lying on the grass as medical staff rushed over.

Musiala admitted he knows how those scenes looked from the outside.

“I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life,”

he said.

“I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this.”

The crucial line for club and country arrived next. Musiala stressed that, according to the specialists treating him, there is “no further health risk involved.”

With that medical clearance, he has chosen to continue playing.

“In close consultation and regular contact with the experts, it was my personal wish to face this challenge; with the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football.”

“I have taken full responsibility for this decision. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track.”

For Bayern, that stance matters. Musiala is not just another squad member; he is central to the club’s plans and to Germany’s future. Any hint of a long-term issue would have cast a shadow over both.

Instead, his message carried a competitive edge. He made it clear that his targets on the pitch have not changed.

“What helps me most on this journey is continuing to chase victories and titles with my team and with your amazing support,”

he wrote.

At the same time, Musiala drew a line around how much more he wants to share publicly. He asked for understanding as he tries to manage the condition away from the spotlight.

“I hope this helps you understand the situation better. At the same time, I ask for your understanding regarding my wish to keep this matter private, sharing it only with my closest circle, the club, and the medical experts.”

Two collapses in four days would rattle any dressing room. Musiala’s response — clear, composed and unapologetically ambitious — sets the tone for what comes next: a season where every touch, every sprint, will be watched that little bit closer, and where he intends to make the conversation about his football again.