Match North Logo

Manchester United Leading Race for Defender Edmond Tapsoba

Manchester United have moved to the front of the queue for Bayer Leverkusen defender Edmond Tapsoba, edging ahead of Tottenham and Newcastle in the chase for one of the Bundesliga’s most coveted centre-backs.

The 27-year-old, a key pillar in Leverkusen’s title-winning back line, has attracted serious Premier League attention after establishing himself as one of the most complete defenders in Germany – strong in duels, comfortable on the ball and able to cover huge areas of the pitch.

United push ahead in Tapsoba race

German outlet Fussball Daten revealed earlier in the week that Manchester United, Spurs and Newcastle had all made contact with Tapsoba’s representatives to explore a summer move.

By Thursday, the picture had shifted. TEAMtalk reported that United are now “leading the race”, with talks between the club and the player’s camp described as the “most advanced” of the three.

All three clubs have opened dialogue with Tapsoba’s entourage, but United appear to be driving hardest, aware of how urgently their defence needs reshaping.

Leverkusen, for their part, have drawn a clear line. According to TEAMtalk, the German champions have set a firm valuation of €50m (£42.8m / $58.4m) for their centre-back. They would rather keep him – Tapsoba signed a contract extension until 2031 earlier this year – but the door is open if a club hits that number.

That figure reflects how Leverkusen view him: not just as another defender to cash in on, but as a cornerstone of their recent success.

INEOS under pressure to back Carrick

At Old Trafford, the need is obvious. INEOS are already working on a deal for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba and are assessing options at left-back, yet the growing concern sits right in the heart of defence.

Matthijs de Ligt’s long-term fitness remains a live issue. Harry Maguire is now 33 and could leave at the end of the season. Behind them, the depth chart looks thin for a club that expects to compete deep into the Champions League.

A signing of Tapsoba’s calibre – a Bundesliga title-winning centre-half, in his prime, with elite-level experience – would go a long way to silencing criticism of United’s defensive recruitment under the new regime.

Right now, that criticism is loud.

‘Disgrace what they’ve done to Carrick’

Speaking on Sky Sports on Tuesday, former Spurs midfielder Jamie O’Hara tore into United’s lack of backing for head coach Michael Carrick.

“I think it’s a disgrace what they’ve done to Carrick,” he said.

“They’ve brought him in. They’ve said, ‘We’re going to back you’. They gave him the opportunity. He’s done a fantastic job last season to get them back in the Champions League, and they’ve given him two players.

“Youri Tielemans is alright. Great signing. And Andrey Santos, who’s, you know… we’re not convinced that he’s even a decent player yet.

“Manchester United are miles off it, and we’re talking about them being in the Champions League.

“They’ve got the same back four they had maybe three or four years ago.

“Luke Shaw is going to have another season at left-back. Fair play to him. Harry Maguire at centre-back. Come on.

“Like, we’re talking about Manchester United. They’re meant to be trying to get back amongst it.”

That is the backdrop to United’s pursuit of Tapsoba: a manager who has dragged them back into Europe’s elite competition, a fanbase demanding modernisation at the back, and a recruitment team under intense scrutiny.

If INEOS want to prove they are serious about reshaping this squad, meeting Leverkusen’s price for a defender of Tapsoba’s profile would be a powerful place to start.