Match North Logo

Aston Villa's Bold Moves: Zion Suzuki Joins as No.1

Aston Villa are reshaping their spine, and the first domino has already fallen.

Japan international Zion Suzuki has arrived at Villa Park with a clear brief: he is coming in to be the club’s new No.1, regardless of what happens next with Emi Martinez.

That is the line from journalist Sam Tighe, who underlined on Sky Sports on Wednesday (11:40, August 19) that Suzuki has not joined to sit on the bench or spend the season being shuffled around.

“Villa are bringing in Suzuki despite the fact that Martinez’s move to Juventus failed. He’s being brought in on the condition of being No.1,” Tighe said, stressing that the 21-year-old has demanded clarity over his role after a collapsed move to PSG.

There, according to Tighe, Suzuki walked away for three key reasons, one of them being a lack of firm guarantees over the starting spot and the prospect of being moved out on loan. He was not prepared to gamble his development on maybes.

At Villa, that picture looks very different.

“I think Suzuki has a very clear idea of what he’s going to be doing at Aston Villa,” Tighe added. The message is blunt: he expects to start.

That stance pushes Villa into a delicate corner with Martinez. The World Cup winner has been central to their rise in recent seasons and the club’s preference has always been to keep him, no matter who came through the door. He has had admirers across Europe, yet every time the window closed he was still in claret and blue.

This summer feels different.

“Villa need to find a solution for Emi Martinez,” Tighe said. “It doesn’t take a lot of money here, I think, to get him. The wages might be a problem.” The bigger issue, though, is not the fee. It is the market.

Tighe laid out the problem in stark terms. Juventus, long linked and previously the most realistic escape route, are now “off the table”. Atletico Madrid showed interest last summer, but Jan Oblak remains in place and any renewed move is uncertain at best.

So where does Martinez go?

Saudi Arabia came knocking last year and he was not interested. Whether that stance softens now remains to be seen. Turkey is a regular part of the conversation for high-profile keepers, but the traditional giants are already stocked: Ederson at Fenerbahce, Alexander Nubel freshly through the door at Besiktas, and other leading clubs similarly covered.

“I’m scratching around for options here, as the club will be,” Tighe admitted. The pool of elite sides needing a starting goalkeeper is surprisingly shallow.

Against that backdrop, Villa have chosen not to wait. “It looks like they’re pressing on with Suzuki regardless and they’re trying to take control of the situation and not be caught short if Emi Martinez decides that he wants to go,” Tighe said.

In other words, the transition plan is no longer theoretical. It is on the pitch.

Villa eye £50m move for Pape Sarr

While the goalkeeping story dominates, Villa are also pushing to strengthen further up the pitch. Tottenham midfielder Pape Sarr has emerged as a serious target.

According to Caught Offside, Spurs would be prepared to listen if a suitable offer lands on the table. There have already been enquiries about the Senegal international, with Al-Ahli registering interest and both Villa and Brentford tracking his situation closely.

The price is climbing. Earlier talk of around £30million has faded. Tottenham now value Sarr closer to £50million, a figure that reflects both his long contract — he is tied to the club until 2030 — and their strong bargaining position. They do not need to sell, and they know it.

For Villa, that is the reality of shopping at the top end of the market. A new first-choice goalkeeper already in the door, a World Cup winner potentially edging towards the exit, and a £50million Premier League midfielder in their sights.

The question now is not whether they are serious. It is how far they are willing to push this rebuild in a single summer.