Sheffield United Faces Court Hearing Over Ownership Dispute
Sheffield United’s season hangs over a courtroom, not a penalty box.
On Wednesday, a High Court judge will hear a winding-up petition against the club’s owners that could, in the worst-case scenario, leave the Blades staring at a 12-point deduction in the Championship. The petition does not name Sheffield United itself, but it cuts straight to the heart of who really owns – and who has actually paid for – the club.
A £100m deal, a £35m problem
The storm goes back to December 2024, when COH Sports Bidco Limited (CSBL), an American-based consortium, agreed to buy Sheffield United from United World for just over £100m.
The sale went through. CSBL took control. But United World, the vehicle through which Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad Al Saud owned the club, says more than £35m of that price remains unpaid.
CSBL made an initial payment when the deal closed. The first instalment that followed was late, only arriving after a statutory demand and right up against the deadline. Now another £35m is due. CSBL has not denied the money is outstanding.
On 8 July, United World filed a winding-up petition against CSBL. That petition is what lands in the High Court on Wednesday. If the debt is not paid or settled, CSBL could be wound up.
On paper, that is a company issue. In practice, it runs straight into English Football League regulations and the integrity of the competition.
The Abdullah era lingers
Prince Abdullah’s decade-long involvement with Sheffield United has never been simple.
He bought 50% of the club in 2013 and only secured full control in 2019 after a long and bitter High Court battle. His tenure ended with another flashpoint: last season, the Blades were docked two Championship points for missed transfer payments to football creditors in the 2022-23 campaign, when he was still in charge.
United World’s sale to CSBL in 2024 was supposed to draw a line under that chapter. It has not.
Instead, both sides are now trading accusations over who is damaging the club and who is trying to walk away from their obligations.
Enter 1919 Partners – and a regulatory headache
The ownership picture became even murkier in June.
The shares in Sheffield United were moved out of CSBL and into a new US-based company, 1919 Partners LLC, which was described as the new “parent company of Sheffield United”. In effect, CSBL no longer controls the club.
Yet the people behind CSBL have not gone anywhere. Businessmen Steven Rosen and Helmy Eltoukhy, who lead CSBL, sit on Sheffield United’s board as co-chairmen through 1919 Partners LLC.
So the company facing the winding-up petition no longer holds the shares, but its key figures still run the club.
United World’s view is blunt. In a statement on Monday, it claimed the creation of 1919 Partners LLC was “an attempt to avoid paying CSBL’s creditors”, adding that since the winding-up order was issued, no offer had been made to settle the debt. Rosen and Eltoukhy, it said, were “trying to take the club without paying for it”.
Sources close to the current Sheffield United ownership hit back, but without addressing those specific allegations. Their statement accused Prince Abdullah of trying “to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts” and insisted the 2024 deal was “well-advised” by his own financial team.
They argued Sheffield United is “financially healthy, unlike under Prince Abdullah when the club incurred a points deduction for missing payments to football creditors”, and said Eltoukhy and Rosen had even invited the former owner to reinvest and join the new ownership group.
“Helmy and Steve are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead,” the statement concluded.
United World responded again on Tuesday, sharpening the tone: “Sophisticated and well-advised parties pay the price they agreed.” Offering shares in the company that was sold, instead of the cash owed, “was not part of the agreed deal and is not payment”, it said.
If the club is as financially strong as claimed, and its owners have the means they are “widely reported to have”, United World argued, then the £35m can simply be paid. “Paying it would answer all questions about the club’s situation at once. Instead, the owners are running a club they have not paid for and the club’s financial health, such as it is, is the result of the owners’ scheme to avoid paying for the club.”
What the regulators are watching
For now, the English Football League and the Independent Football Regulator (IFR) are keeping their distance in public.
Neither has commented on the share transfer to 1919 Partners LLC. The IFR did confirm it is in contact with the club and “relevant organisations” about the winding-up petition, but stressed it could not comment further.
The EFL’s rulebook draws a sharp line between a club going into administration and what it calls a “group undertaking” – a related company – suffering an insolvency event. The latter is more nuanced.
If CSBL is wound up, the EFL board must weigh several factors, including the need to protect “the integrity and continuity of the competition” and “the reputation of the league”. It will also have to decide how closely CSBL, 1919 Partners and Sheffield United are bound together.
The key question: have the owners simply shifted the club’s shares into a new vehicle, leaving a large chunk of the purchase price behind in the old one, to be wiped out in liquidation?
If the EFL concludes that is what has happened, that alone could be deemed a breach and open the door to sanctions, including a potential 12-point deduction for an insolvency event.
There is precedent, even if it is not an exact match. In 2009, Southampton were docked 10 points when their parent company went into administration. An investigation found the club and its parent were “inextricably linked as one economic entity”, so the mandatory penalty applied.
A club caught in the crossfire
United World insists it does not want Sheffield United dragged through months of uncertainty, but says it has been left with “no alternative” but to pursue all legal steps to protect its interests if Eltoukhy and Rosen, “both billionaires”, refuse to pay what it claims they owe.
For supporters, the legal language and corporate structures all distil into one simple fear: another points deduction, and another season skewed by boardroom decisions rather than what happens on the pitch.
The next move belongs to the High Court on Wednesday. If there is no late compromise and the winding-up order is granted, the legal battle over who pays for Sheffield United will collide head-on with the EFL’s duty to police its own competition.
And then the real fight over the club’s future will begin.
Related News

Juventus Sign Guglielmo Vicario from Tottenham as New Goalkeeper

Premier League 2023-24: Life After Pep and Arsenal's Title Defense

Joe Hart on Premier League Challenges: City, Arsenal, and Chelsea

Sergio Martinez Shines in La Liga Debut for Racing Santander

Maika Hamano: Chelsea’s Rising Star in the Women’s Super League

Sheffield United Faces Court Hearing Over Ownership Dispute