Nico Williams Injury Scare for Spain Ahead of World Cup
Spain’s World Cup build-up has taken another jolt. This time, it is Nico Williams.
The winger left Athletic Club’s La Liga clash against Valencia on Sunday with what appeared to be a hamstring injury, a month before Spain open their World Cup campaign in North America. Athletic went on to lose 1-0 in Bilbao, but the real damage may have been done well before the final whistle.
Williams pulled up before half-time and signalled to the bench. His face told the story as much as his leg did. He walked off with a distraught look, then reappeared on the bench with a pad strapped to his left hamstring. For Spain, already watching fitness reports like hawks, it was the sight they least wanted.
The 23-year-old has already missed several weeks this year through injury, and this latest setback comes at the worst possible time. Since breaking into the national team in 2022, he has scored six goals in 30 appearances for Spain, becoming a central part of Luis de la Fuente’s attacking plans. For Athletic this season, he has six goals and seven assists in 32 games, numbers that only hint at his influence on the pitch.
The concern inside San Mamés was immediate. It was echoed afterwards by his brother and teammate, Inaki Williams.
“He was limping a lot. He hadn’t felt that type of pain before,” Inaki said. “It’s concerning, considering the moment we are in right now. Let’s wait and hope for the best possible scenario.”
Hope is all Spain can cling to for now. Athletic did not release any immediate details about the extent of the injury, leaving national-team staff waiting on scans and updates.
The timing could hardly be worse for De la Fuente. Spain were already fretting over the condition of star forward Lamine Yamal, who suffered a torn hamstring last month while playing for Barcelona. Now, with the World Cup a month away, two of the squad’s most dynamic wide threats are in the hands of the medical teams.
Spain have been drawn in Group H for the tournament in North America. Their schedule is demanding from the first whistle: Cape Verde in Atlanta on June 15, Saudi Arabia in the same city on June 21, then a trip to Guadalajara, Mexico, to face Uruguay on June 26. The 2010 champions will need pace, width and incision in those games. Williams was expected to provide all three.
This week, De la Fuente is due to name a 55-man preliminary squad. On paper, that list offers room for contingency plans and cover. In reality, Spain will be desperate for one thing above all when that squad is announced: to still be able to write Nico Williams’s name on it in ink, not in doubt.
Related News

Gameweek 38: FPL Final Day Strategies and Key Players

Liverpool Faces Uncertainty as Champions League Awaits

Lewis Hamilton's Emotional Arsenal Triumph and F1's Football Fever

Job Ochieng: From Lang’ata Schoolyards to La Liga Stardom

Arsenal Targets Real Madrid Starlet Valdepenas for Defensive Reinforcement

Manchester United's Brighton Clash: Carrick's Future at Stake
